For more on this topic, get your own copy of "Surviving the TYC Meltdown" right now for just $12!
Let me know in the poll in the sidebar which if any of these you think justify sending a juvenile to TYC for a misdemeanor offense, or if you agree with the Legislature that all juvenile misdemeanants should be handled locally. Here are your choices, sending misdemeanant youth to TYC when:
- They have three or more prior misdemeanor adjudications
- They have a prior felony adjudication
- They had at least one prior placement in a secure facility
- They need chemical dependency treatment unavailable in the home county
- They need mental health treatment unavailable in the home county
- No, kids with misdemeanors should never be sent to TYC