A regular reader emails today to demand, "Don't even think about leaving town without posting on the use of force hearing yesterday. You are LATE as it is."
So it's not just TYC which must meet expectations, apparently, but me, as well! I couldn't make it to the hearing; I'd already said my piece when I submitted written comments, and was waiting till I had a little more information. But now I feel obligated (since I'm "LATE," after all!) to go ahead and link to MSM coverage of TYC's hearing yesterday to evaluate its proposed use of force policy. Here's the coverage I saw:
- Critics: TYC pepper spray policy is vague, The Daily Texan
- TYC urged to limit pepper spray, AP
- Teen inmates pepper sprayed on videotape, The Austin Statesman
SEE ALSO: Public policy report from Texas Criminal Justice Coalition (pdf) on TYC Pepper Spray Policy.
RELATED: For the period I'll be in N'awlins, I've put up a reader poll asking, which will happen first at the Texas Youth Commission:
- The National Guard or state police are called in to guard TYC facilities because they're shortstaffed
- Acting Executive Director Dimitria Pope is relieved of her position
- A new conservator is appointed
- TYC announces more facility closures
- The 81st (2009) Texas Legislature convenes