U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) data indicate that arrests of CBP employees for corruption-related activities since fiscal years 2005 account for less than 1 percent of CBP’s entire workforce per fiscal year. The majority of arrests of CBP employees were related to misconduct. There were 2,170 reported incidents of arrests for acts of misconduct such as domestic violence or driving under the influence from fiscal year 2005 through fiscal year 2012, and a total of 144 current or former CBP employees were arrested or indicted for corruption-related activities, such as the smuggling of aliens and drugs, of whom 125 have been convicted as of October 2012. Further, the majority of allegations against CBP employees since fiscal year 2006 occurred at locations along the southwest border. CBP officials have stated that they are concerned about the negative impact that these cases have on agencywide integrity.See related MSM coverage from Fox News, "Study finds corruption on rise among border agents, rep says security at risk," which included this tidbit from Texas Congressman Mike McCaul: "In fiscal year 2011 alone, the DHS Inspector General received almost 900 allegations of corruption from within CBP and ICE."
Though unrelated to the Customs service, the corruption angle provides an opportunity to link to a remarkable story from the Houston Chronicle about a Houston PD cop caught laundering cartel drug money: "Ex-HPD officer faces 25 years for running drug money."
See also prior, related Grits posts:
- Told ya so: Massive expansion of customs agents invited border corruption
- Drug corruption (allegedly) all in the law enforcement family
- FBI: Border corruption increasing on the US side
- Border corruption hinders border security
- Border corruption runs amok: New cash for border cops should go to internal affairs
- Laredo chief's bribery plea continues border corruption trend
- Will boosted border hiring spur corruption?
- Border security and the drug war: Corruption mounts, resources stretched
- Police corruption taints US border security
- Border enforcement sees more corruption
- What do we know about US-side cartel infrastructure?
- Did Los Zetas infiltrate Collin County law enforcement?
- Guilty plea from corrupt border sheriff
- On the Texas side, too: Corrupt cops operate north of the river
- More on narco-traffickers bribing US cops
- Drug enforcement broken down on the border
- Spillover corruption: Texas companies laundered bribes to Mexican politicos
- Bazookas, grenades, corrupt police and the worsening border crisis
- Assassinated Monterrey cop was key US ally
- Corrupt Sheriff sentenced to five years for assisting drug traffickers
- Elected Sheriff receiving border security funds allegedly worked for Gulf Cartel
- McAllen probation officer screened job applicants for drug cartel
- Cartel violence so far stays in Mexico but corruption has crossed the river
- Better border strategies needed for journalist, witness protection, unmasking corruption