- Read a rather amazing story of police and prosecutorial overkill from my hometown centered around an abducted 85-year old parrot.
- Some school officials are already whining about Texas decriminalizing truancy, but this item highlights a number of schools successfully experimenting with disciplinary alternatives based on restorative justice models. Truancy rates declined among school districts using the new approach.
- Imagine an "Outlaw Motorcycle Gang" with dozens of members who've been granted concealed carry permits by the state: See a good discussion of the Bandidos' alleged gang status. "Members rarely have been arrested in groups, and even less often for major crimes. In fact, more police officers are indicted in Houston each year than Bandidos."
- Read an argument "Why colleges should admit more ex-felons."
- The publisher of The American Conservative explains "Why we need criminal-justice reform."
Sunday, July 12, 2015
For the birds: A tale of police and prosecutor overkill, and other stories
Here are several items which may interest Grits readers:
Posted by Gritsforbreakfast at 12:48 PM