Thursday, July 22, 2010

Driver responsibility program up for debate in House, not Senate

I neglected to mention that new Texas Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Chairman Tommy Williams canceled the August 3 hearing that would have included discussion of the Driver Responsibility Program, though I understand the DRP had nothing to do with the cancellation. Disappointing, but it saves me a drive to Plano

Meanwhile, on August 10 the "House Public Safety Committee will hold an interim hearing on August 10, 2010 to discuss charge #3 relating to the drivers responsibility program," I'm informed via email."The hearing will take place in E2.014 at 10:00 a.m. and the public is invited to come testify," says the notice. "We do ask that testimony be kept to under five (5) minutes. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the committee at 512-463-0133."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get rid of it. I see this program as double taxation sort to speak. I don't have my DL back yet.I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel as to getting it back if I was to pay the tickets. I've got two tickets left and I don't intend to pay them cause DPS will turn around and charge me a surcharge. I plan on doing jail time. Jail sucks but I will not become a slave to the state of texas any more than I have to.

Anonymous said...

Kinda reminds me of the (bad) good ole days....Debtors prison.

Lauren said...

Where is "E2.014" ?

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Lauren, it's in the underground extension of the Texas capitol in Austin.

direwolf421 said...

I lost my job because of this program! I was a delivery driver making less than $10 an hour when they suspended my licence.
I can't pay $862 for the tickets plus the other $862 dollars a year for the next 3 years. I figure that up! It's over $3400 dollars in three years. I'm not paying that so they can put me in jail!

Unknown said...

It is overkill on law makers part. It is one thing to fine people for something, but to punish them for 3 years and such a high fee. Make it something most people can afford to pay, not say here is a fine to screw our life up. Talk about being convicted of the same crime twice, once in court for the DUI then by DPS Hearing for the Traffic part. What ever happened to high rights of not being convicted or tried for the same crime twice.