Saturday, August 07, 2010

Prison ministry by and for youth

Here's a nice article from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram about high school athletes at Southlake-Carroll taking time for a weekly softball game with TYC youth from McFadden Ranch. The story opens:
Take a 20-minute ride from the well-manicured community of Southlake through the back roads of rural Roanoke and you might, if you can find it, stumble upon McFadden Ranch.

The 48-bed facility set in the middle of a handful of acres serves as the centerpiece for this community-based residential program that, through the Texas Youth Commission, provides care and treatment to juvenile offenders.

The drive is one several members of the Southlake Carroll football team have become very familiar with over the last few months... for all the right reasons.

Nearly every week this summer around 15 Dragons, mostly offensive linemen, show up at 6 p.m. to engage in a friendly game of softball with the TYC kids. The groups share gloves, bats, watermelon and testimonial for about two hours each time.

This all started by Carroll senior offensive lineman Nathan Butler. His father, Steve Butler hosts a bible study for football players every Wednesday during the school year. Once summer commenced, Nathan came up with the idea to play softball at McFadden Ranch.

"[Southlake Carroll] Coach [Hal] Wasson always tells us to go out and reach out," Nathan Butler said. "My dad's been doing prison ministries for as long as I can remember. So I am just following in his footsteps and doing something to help the offensive line and defensive line come together."

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, a little good news today in a center minded society. Lets pray for a domino affect.

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Anonymous said...

all it takes is being touched by incarceration... as a family member or a community member called to serve...we direly need people to witness to the incarcerated that it doesn't have to be this way..These footballers will be blessed or sobered by their volunteerism...both are good.

cjSweetwater said...

OUTSTANDING!!!!

Anonymous said...

GRITS FOR BREAKFAST

Want to get some substancial evidence on why Judge Lisa Jarrett should be investigate

Anonymous said...

HELLO Gritsforbreakfast, have you gotten my messages with my request to please remove my comments? B r y c e ' s mom

Gritsforbreakfast said...

If you made them, you can remove them yourself. Just click on the trashcan next to the timestamp.

Otherwise, not really my job: Think before you write then you won't need to try to remove comments later.

Anonymous said...

Grits, I got your message,you sound very unfriendly. Usually you sound like that when someone is annoying you with their comments. I do not see the trash can because I no long have that blog and deleted that profile.
I thought you understood that I had found out my 15 year old had been unjustly incarcerated and convicted of a murder, though he did not commit the murder.
I was in a hyper panic and heartbroken frame of mind, body and soul.
Your right I should not make comments without thinking first and I should take more time to edit my words, grammar etc, before I post. I working on doing this daily.
Grits, will you please remove my post? I am unable to do this myself. I see you wrote that it is not your job, Grits, Is this your website? Are you asking for payment to delete comments? What is the cost, tell me.
I hope you will consider assisting me as you have the control of it not me. thank you again, marie

Gritsforbreakfast said...

I'm not asking for payment; you can do it yourself. I told you how.