Rather than excerpt and comment, those interested should go read the whole thing. Well done, Brandi, and as an aside this is the type of journalism I hoped we'd see from the Tribune when it launched with such deep pockets and its admittedly impressive cadre of writers - not just reporting the same stuff everybody else does from the capital but regional investigative features that folks like me with no resources can't do from Austin, and which local reporters don't have either skills, resources or often editorial backing to perform.
That said, I should add that the Longview News Journal arguably is the best small-town paper in the state (an accolade I don't grant them lightly), and their coverage of this topic has been very good, see:
- Deadly lockup: Young mother's death should prompt review of jail procedures
- Family: Woman who died in lockup got death sentence for speeding
- Inmate death spurs broader jail probe
- Dead inmate's medical records in 'legal limbo'
- Woman dies in Gregg County jail, family says medication was denied
- Inmate who died was unresponsive after seizures, jailer says
- Second Gregg jailer charged in connection with inmate death
- Jailer charged in inmate's death, four others fired as investigation continues
- Gregg county jailer arrested in connection with inmate's death
- Inmates not guaranteed own prescription medications
- Inmate's meds weren't on the approved list
- Gregg County jail back in compliance but Upshur County jail isn't
- Woman found dead in Gregg County jail, sheriff and Texas Rangers investigating
- Jails across Texas routinely found noncompliant