Steroid dealer David Jacobs and his body builder girlfriend died under suspicious circumstances that police ruled a murder-suicide soon after he accused police officers from five Metroplex departments of being his customers. (Today's coverage inexplicably doesn't mention the police angle, but see these prior Grits posts and others linked below for background.)
It's a lot more important for public safety to ensure cops aren't using illicit steroids than is policing foot races or body building competitions, but you wouldn't know that by paying attention to state and federal enforcement priorities.
After Jacobs' death, no law enforcement agency disciplined any of his alleged police officer clients; of the five, only Dallas PD implemented steroid testing going forward. Otherwise, the officers Jacobs sold to have never been identified or disciplined, and are likely still on the force using illicit steroids.
In that light, there's a bold hypocrisy to pursuing amateur bodybuilders who were for the most part also merely Jacobs' clients. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If they're prosecuting bodybuilders who bought steroids from Jacobs, the police officers who purchased from him should be pursued just as aggressively.
See prior related Grits posts:
- Dallas PD will implement steroid testing after David Jacobs' allegations
- Possible suicide by snitch who alleged police doping deserves outside inquiry
- Informant who accused Metroplex police of steroid use turns up dead
- Plano steroid dealer said he sold to police in five Metroplex cities
- NYPD requires steroid testing of officers in wake of scandal
- Feds should check names of steroid customers with state law enforcement registries
- Where is Congressional investigation of steroid abuse among law enforcement?
- Steroid use negligible among high school jocks; what about testing police?
- Why test Texas high school athletes for steroids but not police officers?
- Arbitrator reinstates steroid using police officer
- Cops on Steroids
- Lawsuit: Private mercenaries, police trainers abuse steroids in Iraq
- Insert Shrunken Testicle Joke Here: Book by ex-Texas cop defends steroid use by police
- Readers back steroid testing for cops and high school athletes