Friday, February 12, 2010

Harris judicial races getting thorough blog coverage

IMO the blogosphere is at its best when folks focus on a particular niche and provide much more detail than the mainstream media or other available outlets on the issues of the day, so I've been pleased to see Houston bloggers Charles Kuffner, David Jennings, and Murray Newman covering Harris County judicial elections, providing more depth and attention than other local media and helping generate conversations about races that rarely receive much attention. Bully for them! Search around these blogs for the Harris County judicial races in which you're interested. Charles and David are publishing responses to standardized candidate surveys they sent out to Democratic and Republican candidates, respectively, while Murray is giving a more personal perspective on the candidates.

Houston's a big town, so it's unsurprising they'd be the first in Texas to generate that level of bloggerly coverage of (usually ignored) local elections, but what they're doing provides a model that I hope will spread. It's an incredibly useful voter service.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link, Grtisy. Too long between ales, we need to do that again.

Murray Newman said...

Thanks Scott! And I'd like to join y'all when you and David go for that beer.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

I'm really pleased y'all have embraced this niche. And next time I'm in H-Town, I'll buy the first round.

Charles Kuffner said...

Let me add my thanks as well - I've been trying to comment on this post but for some reason I've been unsuccessful - and invite myself along for the beer-drinking when it happens. Muchas gracias, Scott.