Thursday, October 07, 2010

Forensic Science Seminar makes a splash

I'm too tired and busy with cooking duties tonight to recount all the day's events, but today's Texas Forensic Science Seminar (see Dallas News coverage; the agenda with links to handouts is here) was an impressive affair. The auditorium in the capitol was jam-packed. I spoke to Judge Barbara Hervey at the end of the day to congratulate her on an excellent event, and I really meant it. (Hopefully the video will be archived soon on the Texas Senate website, which livestreamed the video and will again tomorrow here.) It was quite a high-powered crowd (I recognized the nametags of most of the attendees I hadn't met before) and there were a terrific set of presentations, though I wished there were more time for Q&A after each session. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Angee said...

I know the feeling of having to cook when you are too tired to think. As the weather cools down the 2 of us often enjoy breakfast foods at dinner time. Another thing is to buy a package of casserole dried beans. In all of these years I have never found any foreign object in them so I no longer look. I give them a good washing in my spaghetti strainer, dump them in the crock pot with plenty of water to soak up all night on the low setting. The following morning I had a package of the pre-cooked Sadlers beef brisket. By dinner time it is wonderful with corn bread, hush puppies, bread sticks or garlic bread. Pop a package of broccoli and cheese or roasted potatoes in the microwave and you have a wonderful meal.
Sadlers also had decent smoked ribs minus the sauce. You can put the entire package in with the beans and remove the bones that are floating around before serving. Sliced cucumbers and tomato wedges topped with Italian dressing can be done at the last minute for crispness or the night before to soak up the the spices. With the meat in the beans and already cooked side dishes are easy. The following day just change side dishes and your meal will still be a success.