Friday, March 18, 2011

Bill to abolish Driver Responsibility surcharge gets hearing on Tuesday

State Rep. Leo Berman's HB 299 repealing Texas' Driver Responsibility surcharge has received the chair's blessing for a public hearing on Tuesday (at 2 pm or upon adjournment), when the bill will be heard by the House Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee. (See the members of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee here; if one of them represents you and you oppose the DRP, please consider contacting them to ask them to support the bill.)

For those of you who'd like the opportunity to (politely, respectfully) tell the Legislature how this surcharge has affected you and/or your family, this hearing will be a good opportunity. It's a welcome sign that the bill has received a public hearing - many do not - and though the hospitals will come out in opposition, we may have reached a tipping point where the problems created by the surcharge, particularly regarding declining DWI convictions, now outweigh the benefits.

For more background, see written testimony (pdf) I helped prepare last year for this committee on behalf of the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, and these prior, related Grits posts:

10 comments:

Cody L. Cofer said...

I think both sides of the bar, defense and prosecution, can largely agree that surcharges are not the answer. Surcharges are crippling to the most marginalized and impoverished sections of our society. We often ask people to comply with probation terms that require constant travel (i.e. reporting monthly, attending classes, seeking employment), but take away the person's ability to legally travel to comply. The bottom line: people have to drive, so people are going to drive. As a result, we stack insurmountable fines, fees, surcharges on one another, and we have roadways full of "outlaws" and uninsured motorists. If legislators actually listen to the people dealing with the surcharge issues, I have no doubt they'll be abolished. I'm sure it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Robert Langham said...

Good for Leo Berman. The folks that don't like him don't appreciate his flexibility and resourcefulness.

Anonymous said...

If the lege were to accomplish just one good thing this session, it would be great if it were to abolish this foolish program.

Sean said...

This is great news. Too bad it won't get me a refund for the roughly $1,200 the state scammed me out of by way of this poorly conceived law a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

Just exactly what is Leo Berman's motivation for this bill? Excuse my pessimism but I honestly don't see where this legislation benefits Berman, and I can't comprehend him pushing this just because it's the right and necessary thing to do. This is Texas, and Berman is an almost fanatical right-winger. Something doesn't add up here.

At any rate I'd bet an eye tooth it doesn't get any further than this hearing. Maybe his true motivation will surface later this session.

Anonymous said...

I support the abolishment of this terrible program. I have never had to pay a surcharge, so I’m speaking as one who has seen the terrible, muddled system that has come as a result of what appears to me to be a money grab by our state government.

Anonymous said...

Thats one of the best things I've heard in a long time.

Because of a charge that had nothing to do with driving,my license got suspended. I had to take a drug offender class,have to pay a surcharge,have to pay a reinstatement fee,have to get a SR-22,then of course I have to get a job to get a car except I don't have a way to go look for a job because I don't have a car. Being I live in a rural area theres no buses so whenever i can borrow a car,I have to take a chance of driving with a suspended license.

Thank you Texas for making it easy for me to be a good law abiding citizen.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, 9:16!

Anonymous said...

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB1810

Haven't seen this proposal much talked about yet, authored by Lon Burnam, who's on the H.S.&P.S. Committee. It includes revenue replacement with even more taxes on tobacco, but who knows maybe it's a positive sign too?

Randy said...

After all that State Rep. Leo Berman had to say about double jeopardy and how this stupid law was unfair, as soon as the comptroller informed him of the 86 million that would be lost per year by those that do pay, this snake repealed his on bill that he authored. Guess revenue does outweigh citizens constitutional rights! For God sakes, someone please correct me if I'm not seeing this correctly.