- Dallas County Jail population drops to all-time low
- [Harris] County Jail shipping inmates to Beaumont lockup
The causes of Harris County Jail overcrowding and the obvious solutions should by now be so familiar to Grits readers I shall not recite them here. The Morning News suggested five causes for the reduction in jail population in Dallas:
- Fewer arrests: "So far this year, there have been fewer new arrivals than in 2013 and 2014."
- More diversion programs, including one in which "Low-risk offenders who can’t post bail can pay a small fee and get out before their trial dates," i.e., personal bonds.
- New software lets "Cases ... be presented to grand juries faster, which shortens jail stays"
- Quicker prep for TDCJ pickup: Everybody cites this but one seldom sees data to support the claim.
- Inclement weather: Understandably, upon reflection, crime goes down when it rains.