- San Antonio is the poster child for how "police contracts shield officers from scrutiny and discipline."
- The Statesman has an extensive feature about black families giving their kids "The Talk" in the era of Black Lives Matter.
- See an argument in The Baptist Standard for raising the age of criminal responsibility from 17 to 18, as well as an editorial in the SA Express-News.
- Police agencies which failed to comply with the new law on reporting of shootings by their officers are belatedly starting to get their paperwork in, though there remains no penalty for noncompliance.
- The attorney representing Harris County in federal bail litigation is taking flack for claiming some jail inmates want to be locked up.
- See more stories about conservatives responding to Donald Trump's denunciation of asset forfeiture reform by vocally supporting the idea. Also, Dallas Observer coverage.
- There were protests at the Harris County Jail this week surrounding another questionable inmate death ruled a suicide by authorities.
Saturday, February 18, 2017
Snacks to tide you over ...
Here are a few odds and ends which merit Grits readers' attention while your correspondent's is focused elsewhere: