Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Juarez cops lower the bar

Unbelievably grim.

If it seemed extreme when authorities
fired one third of the Nuevo Laredo police department for complicity with drug cartels, here's more evidence that municipal police in Mexico, particularly on the border, are ripe for a major housecleaning:

Two cops in Juarez, Mexico -- sister city to El Paso across the Rio Grande -- allegedly kidnapped an El Paso woman outside a nightclub and raped her, while a suspected third appears to have acted as lookout,
reported the El Paso Times today. The pair have been arrested and charged, but ... my God!

That's hardly even corruption -- more like power-mad thugs working in law enforcement and machismo run amok.
I've heard of plenty of American cops accused of sexual assault, of course. But I've never seen a case where two cops committed a rape while a third stood watch.

If the victim weren't an American citizen, I wonder if we'd have ever heard about it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many of the nameless and faceless women that have turned up dead in and around Juarez in the last 5 years were victims of this type of "police" violence.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Oh my gosh, I never thought of that. You're right the abduction fits the MO on many of those missing girls.