Thursday, May 31, 2007

R.I.P. Daryl Janes

I hope when I die somebody says of me, as Harvey Kronberg said of Daryl Janes: "He was a writer with printer's ink in his blood; words were his business."

I've still got a big stack of old copies of The Daryl Herald - the publication he and Daryl Slusher operated in the '80s - in a box somewhere that I never could bring myself to throw out. I hadn't seen him in a few years, but Harvey nailed it. Janes was a writer's writer, and if he were a few years younger he'd have made a helluva blogger. I was sorry to hear of his passing.

6 comments:

Steve-O said...

I didn't know the man or his work, but it seems like you and he were cut from the same cloth, Scott.

RIP

Anonymous said...

Caution when reading the eloquent Statesman article regarding Daryl Janes: the staff writer didn't write it. A Comptroller staff member did. But good to know that when writing about a fellow journalist, it's okay for the Statesman to plagiarize.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

That's pretty common with obituaries, but I agree it's odd in that case to see a reporter's byline on it. But I see no reason for excessive caution otherwise - I was happy to see him remembered.

Anonymous said...

You should scan in some copies of the Herald. A lot of people would love to see them.

I worked with Daryl for many years. He was a good guy, great boss and a real writer.

Anonymous said...

Daryl was a kind man and a great boss. You never had to wonder what he was thinking; he was very straight-forward and honest. A proud Texan and Aggie. He will be greatly missed.

klip izle said...

klip izle klip izle klip izle klip izle