Dozens of Texas police agencies already require written consent and despite the chicken little rhetoric, the sky didn't fall when they implemented it.
When Austin PD implemented written consent, the number of consent searches declined by 63%. That indicates to me that a lot more Texans would exercise their right to refuse a search if their rights were explained to them.
- Dutton: Require written or recorded searches at traffic stops
- Written consent protects Texans' rights and prosecutors cases
- House vote count on written consent
- 'Strange coalition' backs SB 1195
- NYPD to require written consent for traffic and home searches
- Searching for consent at Texas traffic stops
- Don't mind if I take a look, do ya?
- Police oversearching not all about race
- Austin drivers refuse searches when they know they can
- How often do drivers refuse consent searches?