Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving open thread: Volunteer opportunity on electronic privacy

Grits will be taking a few days off for the holiday so use this post as an open thread to talk about any Texas criminal justice topics you like. In the meantime, though, a couple of announcements:

First up, a) are you interested in activism on electronic privacy issues, b) do you live in the Austin area, and c) does your work or school schedule next spring allow for part-time work on a legislative project during the daytime? If the answer to all three of those questions is yes, shoot me an email at shenson[at]austin.rr.com. The missus and I are aiming to put together a small strike team of folks to promote one or two good bills on the topic, and perhaps perform defensive work when bad legislation arises. Experience would be great but unnecessary if you're a smart person who can learn new skills; training and experienced supervision will be provided. This is a small side project on an area where Grits fears there's an advocacy vacuum. At the same time, for several reasons, I suspect the 83rd Texas Legislature may be more predisposed than some of its predecessors to scaling back Big Brotherish law enforcement tactics being championed at the national level by the Obama Administration. Anyway, we're going to find out. Email if you're interested in helping out.

Also, as the legislative session approaches, let me iterate that those who want to receive an email each morning with links to the previous day's Grits posts should sign up here (or in the right-hand column):

Subscribe via Grits' site feed
Enter Your Email to Git Yer Daily Grits!

Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Enjoy Thanksgiving, folks, and have a great holiday.

6 comments:

Prison Doc said...

Grits I praise you for your activism. Best wishes for your work.

REgarding email I think everyone needs to be aware that NOTHING can be considered private anymore; maybe I've read too many Brad Thor thrillers but the last one convinced me that there is no privacy at all in anything electronic.

Many of my brethren on the Right are recommending the new "private" subscription email site, reagan.com--but I am skeptical that anything will ever be private especially if one wishes to be an enemy of the state.

Fight Big Brother! And be thankful this Thanksgiving that he is not any more powerful than he is.

ColeenSanLeon said...

Wow, I am very impressed. Wished I lived in Austin would absolutley love to help! If you need any virtual asistance I'm in.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

jimbino said...

The 2013 legislative session begins in January, whereas spring begins on the 21st of March. When you say "spring," what do you mean, exactly?

Gritsforbreakfast said...

In truth, jimbino, prep for the project needs to begin even sooner than that, so your point is well taken. We're looking for a few folks to help during the Lege session.

Kenneth D. Franks said...

I have your blog on my Blog List so I get regular updates when you have new posts. I'm not in Austin but in Deep East Texas nearly 300 miles away. I'm not sure what I can do from here except pass on your posts about privacy issues on my blog which I will do.

ביקורות said...

Great job! Keep it up and happy thanksgiving everyone.