Friday, December 24, 2010

Things I'd like for Christmas that may not fit in Santa's sack

As we approach the 82nd Texas Legislature, here's a list of ten criminal justice policy reforms I'd like for Christmas that may not fit in Santa's sack:
  1. Honest fiscal notes regarding the true cost of legislation increasing criminal penalties at the Texas Legislature. Relatedly, perhaps Santa could ensure that the budget shortfall will force Texas to reconsider its mass-incarceration policies of the last two decades.
  2. That the 82nd Texas Legislature will eliminate the Driver Responsibility Surcharge.
  3. Some way to hold prosecutors accountable for overt misconduct as in the Anthony Graves case.
  4. More local anti-red light camera initiatives.
  5. That the Lege will avoid cuts to mental health services that will fill up jails and prisons.
  6. More permission graffiti spots on government property in underutilized public spaces.
  7. Restoration of the law enforcement exception in the Public Information Act (Sec. 552.108 of the Government Code) back to the historic AG's interpretation prior to the 1996 SCOTX case Holmes v. Morales. That was a tremendous blow to transparency about which few people are even aware.
  8. That the powers that be will reconsider and eliminate onerous and pointless security theater at the entrances to the Texas capitol.
  9. A statewide mechanism to vet past convictions of potentially innocent people based on flawed forensics like dog-scent lineups and old arson cases.
  10. New grants from the feds or private foundations for primary research to validate and improve forensic sciences.
Merry Christmas, folks. Use the comments as an open thread to let me know what you want for Christmas, be it criminal justice policy changes or a new Xbox.

24 comments:

quash said...

I'm saving all my wishes for the year Sharon Keller runs for re-election.

Prison Doc said...

Merry Christmas Grits, finding your blog was one of my best presents received this year!

Anonymous said...

I'd like a fully (state) funded indigent defense system.

Canyon Stu said...

Jerry Madden for governor of Texas!

Anonymous said...

I want my son to make parole. That is my most fervent prayer right now.

Jeff said...

Merry Christmas!

zeety said...

I'd like a pony.

And Merry Christmas, ya'll.

Anonymous said...

My hope is that hemp be restored to its rightful place in American industry as a textile resource of choice. Hemp could save our economy, our farmland, put people back to work. Its seeds and oil are true food, storehouses of nutrition that will save our health. Its leaves cure cancer. And most of all, that those incarcerated because of using it for recreational / medicinal purposes would have their freedom rightfully restored.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Prison Doc, this is one of the best blogs! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I would like a State "safety valve" for sentences to allow judges and juries to sentence under the mandatory minimum.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Scott!

Retired 2004

Anonymous said...

I wish Scott and Sarge a very wonderful Christmas. My Christmas wishes cannot be met by the Texas Leg. for they are as old as Christmas: "Peace on earth, good will to men." And let it begin with me!

Rev. Charles in Tulia

Anonymous said...

to 12/25 8:21 a. m. anonymous

I order hemp hearts as nutritional supplement from a guy in Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. The product comes to my house courtesy of the US Post Office, perfectly legally.

Doesn't it make a lot of sense to allow the import of hemp products while making it a crime to grow it in the US. But my purchase contributes to the prosperity of a businessman in Lethbridge and to Alberta farmers.

Oh well, there are other things I don't understand.

Rev. Charles in Tulia

SouthOfOltorf said...

8:21 am:
Yup & hemp seeds, bought at Tomlinson's, are a favorite & healthy food for my flock of bantams (who supply us with fresh eggs less than 2 miles from the statehouse...)

Anonymous said...

Liberty and Justice for All. A justice system that searches for truth and is not based on manipulation, money, and lies. Peace on Earth, Good Will to Men.

Anonymous said...

The only enhanced penalties Grits ever supports are the ones that apply to police, prosecutors and other law enforcement officials. What a freaking double standard!

Gritsforbreakfast said...

I don't recall endorsing enhanced penalties, 2:27, maybe you can point me to that post. In any event, Merry Christmas.

Texas Maverick said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Scott.

My wish is for common sense and statesmanship in the upcomming session of the legislature.

Jeff said...

I'm hoping for a sensible execution of the legislature with the purpose of serving the people and not themselves or special interest.

sunray's wench said...

Santa could do worse than to relieve the current BPP of their responsibilities and put in place clear parole requirements that can be achieved by eligible inmates, rather than having the lottery that is currently inplace with reasons for denial that the inmate can do nothing at all to remedy.

Hmmm... BPP reform and Santa Claus.... winter wonderland anyone?

Anonymous said...

I would like to commend Scott for his passion for justice. He has done well, some would suppose, to view one-half of the equation and champion a cause based on that half view. However, some would argue, what about the half that he either denies or fails to see?

Could I say he is right? He is half-right, but is one so ardent in his half perception really all that right? I guess it's something to contemplate as we enter a new year.

Anonymous said...

I want Texas to 'right the wrong' that has been done to my husband in the name of justice and I want him to come home for good and for this nightmare to end!

Gritsforbreakfast said...

3:40, see here.

Anonymous said...

too late for a Christmas wish, so I'll make this one for New Year. That the leg. cannot create a new crime w/o eliminating one already on the books. Some rep plans to introduce again a bill to outlaw talking on cell phone while driving. Okay--take the one off about wearing a seat belt.

Charles in Tulia