Sen. Rodney Ellis, readers will recall, has filed SB 117 that would require Texas law enforcement agencies to create or modernize policies on conducting photo lineups - 88% of departments don't have any, and most that do don't conform to current best practices.
In related news, Roy Malpass, an eyewitness identification expert from the University of Texas at El Paso will be allowed to testify in a high-profile Louisiana murder trial whose outcome depends on eyewitness testimony.
- How much do eyewitnesses really see?
- Eyewitnesses and the 'feeling of knowing'
- Emotional pair of DNA exonerations argue for changing eyewitness ID procedures
- Study: 88% of police and sheriffs have no written policy on eyewitness ID procedures, even fewer follow best practices
- UTEP creates one stop shopping site for eyewitness ID procedures