Friday, December 22, 2006

A Christmas request

Probably no more blogging for me until after the holiday, though if I get too bored I may stick my head in again. I hope everyone enjoys this time with family and friends.

Until then, I'd like to make a request to readers: If you happen to know a child with an incarcerated parent this Christmas, please consider stopping by over the weekend to give them a hug and maybe dropping off a last-minute gift.

Family holidays are a troubling time for a kid whose Mom or Dad is in prison. Let them know they're not alone. Even small gestures can make a difference. After all, we're supposed to be celebrating Christ's birthday ... you remember, the guy who taught that "Even as ye have done unto the least of these, my brethren, you have done it unto me." If there were ever a category of youngsters one could regard as the "least of these," it would be the thousands of Texas kids who'll wake up Christmas morning with a parent incarcerated.

Have a great holiday, everybody. See you next week.

No comments: