Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Housekeeping note for Grits email subscribers

I couldn't be more pleased that Grits has 810 daily email subscribers. But I've recently realized that number could be higher except that AOL and Yahoo appear to be automatically requesting removal when their users sign up for the opt-in email subscription in Grits' sidebar. This delivery method has become a popular option for readers and I hate to see major providers disallowing it.

The way I see it, if you use AOL or Yahoo for your email there are two options: 1) Subscribe using a different email, perhaps through gmail or any other secondary account to which you have access, or 2) diligent readers can figure out how to get Yahoo and AOL's approval for their accounts to receive opt-in FeedBlitz email, then tell me how they did it and I'll post it here.

Until then, my apologies to those for whom this has caused any confusion or inconvenience.

As always, those who use RSS readers or want to add Grits headlines to personalized pages can do so using this RSS feed.

Thanks for reading!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering why I keep signing up and never get anything!!! hmmmm don't have another email so I guess I'll just keep coming to the site!

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Glad it hasn't deterred you. :)

You can also use an RSS reader. Google and Yahoo both let you put one on a personalized search page, or there are dozens of other RSS alternatives out there.

Atticus said...

It comes through in my yahoo email just fine and has for years now...

Gritsforbreakfast said...

That's interesting, Atticus. I got some complaints and checked the unsubscribe notices, and there were a bunch of Yahoo and AOL subscribers where the message I got was "ISP requested removal." I don't quite know what's going on with it.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

While we're here, what if any other subscription-related problems has anybody had besides this one?

Texas Prisoners Network Support said...

I have not had any problems getting your emails with my yahoo account.

Gritsforbreakfast said...

Glad to hear some of the Yahoo subscribers are getting it okay. I'm a little confused why the ISP would request removal for some but not others.

If it works for you, great! If not, I just wanted to mention some folks were having problems.

Anonymous said...

I get it fine at my yahoo however, I originally signed up with another email and have recently changed the amail address to my yahoo acct.