- "So what your [sic] saying is Estelle Prison Unit has a room available starting today?"
- "One less inmate to give 3 square meals a day and a bed to."
- "Our TDCJ gaurds are making $20,000 a year to deal with this scum. May he rest in hell...."
- "One less criminal to worry about!!!"
- "Reward the officers who killed him... let's quit giving lawyers public funds to allow scum like him to come back and prey on the innocent"
Friday, May 21, 2010
Sheep, goats and trolls: An observation regarding the Houston Chronicle comment section
A blind prisoner with a history of mental illness died after he threw urine on a guard at a TDCJ medical facility and an extraction team removed him from his cell. The news story doesn't describe his injuries or say whether they were caused by the extraction team. But especially notable to me were the rabid, borderline inhuman statements bandied about in the comment section at the Houston Chronicle. Here's a sampling among the "most recommended" comments: