Do you suppose it’s significant that no conservator’s report has been posted since May? We have to report to [TYC Executive Director] Dimitria Pope on “accomplishments” each month. Does this mean that nothing is being accomplished?It's true, there's not been a conservator's report released since this one on May 2, as far as I know. I wonder why?
I see no reason why changing conservators (it's now Ed Owens instead of Jay Kimbrough) means the new one should stop reporting what's going on to the Legislature and the public. Just spinning a few ideas off the top of my head, here are some things I'd like to see in a TYC conservator's report:
- An employee satisfaction survey
- A survey of youth on conditions and rehabilitation effectiveness
- Any data on outcomes and recidivism for youth who've been released since March
- An explanation of what will replace the "resocialization" treatment package in TYC and when it will be ready
- Results from the "vulnerability assessments" at each unit promised in the last conservator's report and unit-specific plans for reducing vulnerabilities.
- Some sense of when the "Blue Ribbon Panel's" recommendations be ready - some initiatives are waiting on them
- An appendix listing each new rule or policy changes made since March 2007 as well as any contemplated
- An analysis of how many employees have been terminated since March 2007 and for what reasons
- A monthly macro analysis of sustained vs. unsustained complaints against employees by unit and complaint type (TDCJ should publish that data, too).
- A monthly analysis of youth on staff assaults and crime committed by youth in custody
- Monthly employment and education progress metrics for TYC parolees