Friday, September 28, 2007

Colfax to guest blog UTEP interrogation and confessions conference

A conference at UT El Paso on interrogation methods and false confessions began yesterday and continues today and tomorrow. I had lunch earlier this week with Edwin Colfax, the Austin director of the D.C.-based Justice Project, who agreed to write up some of the highlights for Grits' readers when he gets a chance. Colfax, who arrived in Austin from D.C. this spring, recently produced two important reports on innocence-related topics - one regarding criminal discovery and another on standards for jailhouse snitch testimony. Thanks Edwin for offering to guest blog! I'm looking forward to it.

Meanwhile, I'm equally pleased to thank the reader, who wishes to remain anonymous, who ponied up for me to attend the Sentencing Conference I'd mentioned in Austin next month, which means Grits can provide coverage from that event as well. I appreciate it; financially I couldn't attend without the help.

Slowly but surely I feel like this blog is turning into a place where communities of interest can have a discussion and self-educate instead of just a spot for me to spout an opinion - a palimpsest, to use my favorite word of the day, not just a running monologue. No doubt both knowledgeable reader comments and participation at such higher levels really help achieve that goal, so thanks readers! This blog wouldn't be the same without you.

No comments: