Saturday, November 24, 2007

Houston PD to employ unmanned spy drones?

That's the report from a Houston TV station, via Wired Blog Network. And what, exactly, is the purpose of this device but to snoop in places where the law would otherwise require them to secure a warrant?

An assistant chief told reporters "the unmanned aircraft would be used for 'mobility' or traffic issues, evacuations during storms, homeland security, search and rescue, and also "tactical." She admitted that could include covert police actions and she said she was not ruling out someday using the drones for writing traffic tickets." I wonder if it will be armed like in Afghanistan so the unmanned spy plane can take out bad guys from the air?!

This is a great example of why I could never write fiction. I can never think of things more ridiculous, strange and bizarre than what we see in reality every day. Unmanned spy planes operated by the Houston PD? Chief Harold Hurtt has always had a surveillance fetish, but you just can't make this stuff up.

UPDATE: I've put up a reader poll in the sidebar asking whether folks thinks this is a good idea. If you vote "yes," let me know in the comments how you think these could be used to improve public safety without diminishing privacy. If you vote "no," let me know what problems you foresee with the technology.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Austin's finest will want one or two also.

Anonymous said...

You know Big Bad Williamson County has to have an erection after reading this... I say they're next. Just more Gov. intrusion in our lives.

Anonymous said...

I can see it now; Headline reads Police Drone shot down by gang members! Or Police Drone crashes into elementary school play ground killing 6 year old child! Just one more dumb ass idea to bolw tax dollars and invade my privacy. Damn no more nude sunbathing in our own backyard for my super model wife! Humm maybe the sex perverts in city hall came up with this idea. If I see nude pictures of my wife on the internet I know exactally who to visit!

Anonymous said...

More "Big Toys for Big Boys" at citizen expense and in more ways than dollars.

The Police, and the industries that provide such expensive and intrusive "Toys" to the police, have struck a gold mine, feeding each other.

Anonymous said...

It appeards they've gone to war with the people.

Anonymous said...

Heck, they'll make for good target practice. Shine a laser at them.

Anonymous said...

Don't you dumb asses remember the police helicopter? It's been around for years spying on you. How is a drone's use any different? Wake up and smell the intrusive roses.

Anonymous said...

The tax payers need to call a halt to this insane spending!

Anonymous said...

I can see the black market for heat seeking missles on the rise.

Anonymous said...

It's not how I want tax dollars to be spent, but it's not a violation of our rights and does not require a warrant. If they put IR on it and start randomly looking for hot spots where people are growing pot it might, but taking pictures of you driving down the road isn't unconstitutional.

Anonymous said...

UAV's are simply unmanned aircraft. Law enforcement agencies have been using helicopters for policing for years. I don't know why people are tripping out over a large police department experimenting with an unmanned aircraft. Fellow Texans, get out of the Stone Age.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thank author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.
Alex
Cell phone blocker