This is a housekeeping matter, but I could seriously use some advice from Grits readers and fellow bloggers. A few months back I put Google's Adsense ads on Grits - you may not have noticed them, but they show up more prominently on the individual post pages. They don't generate much money - in fact after several months I'll soon be getting my first check from Google, supposedly, for $100. When I signed up, it was with the intention that whatever money was generated, however small a sum, would be used to promote the blog.
I don't have a lot of great promotion ideas, though, and figure readers and other bloggers may have better insights, anyway, into what might be effective. So I've created this survey to gather readers' advice on the topic. It's just one question and will only take a second.
And speaking of promotion, you can help promote Grits by turning your friends on to the blog, forwarding posts to people who you think might be interested, and, when you see a Google Ad at Grits on a topic you care about, click on it and Grits receives a small amount per-click. (I don't encourage gaming the system, just letting you know that's a way to support the site.)
Let me know: What's the best way to promote a low-budget niche blog like Grits?
Question: I'm about to get a check for $100 from Google AdSense. I vowed when I put up AdSense several months ago (it's not a big money maker) that any revenue would go toward promoting the blog. Here are some promotion ideas I've come up with or heard others recommend. Feel free to leave your own suggestion.
- Print nice, full-color Grits business cards for one to one promotion among people I meet
- Buy several Texas blog ads - not many, though, with that small amount
- Buy a bottle of high-end scotch and screw promoting the blog.
- Mailer via snail mail to 150 opinion leaders promoting Grits
- Pay an artist to design a new logo
- Print magnets, bookmarks or other swag for one to one promotion giveaways
- Two words: Green. Fees.
- Fork over for Typepad hosting services and dump blogspot
- Buy my own Google ads using Grits' criminal justice-related keywords to boost traffic
- Use the money for research costs like open records requests and newspaper archive searches
- Buy criminal justice-related books - that counts as research, doesn't it?
- I wonder where Willie Nelson bought those mushrooms he was busted with and how much they cost?
- Delayed Gratification Option: Wait until the second $100 comes and get the Oxford Dictionary on CD-Rom I've coveted for years
- Other (please specify)